Tip of the month: metrics
Let’s talk data.
You send an email newsletter, and you’re eager to see the results.
I want you to look at some metrics that can help formulate a deeper understanding of how your email marketing is performing. Consider this the foundational knowledge needed to quickly scan an email newsletter and make an assessment.
First, give your newsletter a little time to simmer before you go checking — I’d say a day later is good.
If you use the Seguno app, you’re going to see a lot of data popping up once you click back into the email message. Here are the ones I think you should key in on to obtain a glance of what’s happening.
At the very top:
- Open rate: number of subscribers who open the email divided by the number of subscribers who were delivered the email
- Click rate: number of subscribers who click on the email divided by the number of subscribers who were delivered the email
- Sales: total amount of sales generated, plus number of orders
While you’re in the click rate section, check the “clicks” link to see the parts of the email that drew engagement and those that were less popular.
In the right-hand section:
- Average order value: average dollar amount spent
- Delivery rate: number of emails delivered divided by the number of emails sent
- Unsubscribe rate: anything less than 0.5%, on average, is acceptable
- Complaint rate: you want to see this at 0%; you don’t want anyone flagging you as spam
These rates are good indicators of what’s working for you, and what could use adjusting. They’re part of the bigger metrics picture — which includes a comprehensive look at email newsletters plus automations over time — that you should be investigating.
Create, manage, and track your email marketing—without leaving Shopify.
Seguno is the top-rated email solution built exclusively for Shopify. Grow your sales with high-performing newsletters, email automation campaigns, and integrations with Facebook, Instagram, banners, pop-ups and more. Build and send engaging emails in our easy-to-use editor and take email creation to the next level with our Canva integration. Automate your email marketing and drive more revenue with welcome campaigns, checkout abandonment, post-purchase automations, tag triggers and more. Learn more at Seguno.com
Sign up for email marketing tips, resources, and industry insights to help your Shopify store grow.