50 holiday email subject line examples for you to copy and paste
We’ve provided many email subject line ideas for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (BFCM) newsletters. We’re back with more, but this time for holiday season email newsletters that fall outside of the BFCM window.
Nailing the email subject line is crucial for rising above a cluttered inbox. Consider this: 64% of email recipients base their decision to open emails on the subject line.
We invite you to snag our examples. Tweak and personalize as needed to fit your Shopify store’s audience.
I’ve organized the best holiday email subject line examples into four categories based on message type — gifting, treat yourself, last chance, and holiday greetings — and tossed in a bonus section on emojis.
But first, let’s make a pit stop to talk about best practices for email subject lines, no matter the time of year.
10 universal tips for composing email subject lines
Your email does no good if it’s not opened. Put some effort into stringing together email subject lines that beckon your subscribers. What might grab their attention?
While we don’t have a secret equation to stellar open rates, we do have an arsenal of best practices for email subject lines:
- Stay concise. A good rule of thumb: six to 10 words, or under 50 characters.
- Be specific, not vague. Tie your email subject line to the content so you deliver upon expectations.
- Be authentic. Let your brand shine.
- Use numbers. They make your email subject line stand out and quickly convey information.
- Include your sales offer, if applicable. Specify the dollar or percentage discount. (Again, numbers carry weight.)
- Create urgency. Move your subscribers to take action by adding a touch of FOMO through phrases such as “limited time” and “last chance.”
- Mention if you offer free shipping. A study found that free shipping is the top incentive to shop online.
- Ask a question. Posing a question can intrigue your subscribers.
- Check spelling and grammar. The email subject line is your newsletter’s first impression and represents your brand.
- Avoid all caps and anything that reeks of spam. Your email recipients will ignore you or mark you as spam.
For more tips and examples, check out our guide on email subject line best practices.
‘Gifting' holiday email subject lines
Many holiday email marketing messages focus on gift-giving. Thus, this category features the largest list of suggestions.
Stand out as the Shopify store for gift-givers with a gift-giving email campaign.
‘Treat yourself’ holiday email subject lines
Self-gifting has been trending upward over the last few years. Read: speak to the crowd of shoppers on the lookout for themselves as they concurrently buy for others, with a catchy holiday email subject line.
‘Last chance’ holiday email subject lines
When it’s getting down to crunch time — whether an offer is about to expire or time is running low for getting products shipped on time — you need an email subject line that expresses urgency.
‘Happy Holidays’ email subject lines
Emojis in subject lines
Add some fun to your holiday email subject lines by including emoticons. They’re a small addition that can make your message visible among a sea of emails.
Our three bits of advice:
- Don’t overdo it
- Choose image(s) that match the subject line
- Ensure the message can stand without the emoji in case it doesn’t render correctly
Here are a few examples that are great for enhancing your holiday season messages:
🎅 ☃️ ❄️🎄 🎁 🤶 🌨 🛷🧣 🧤 ✨ ⭐️ 🕯 🥂 🚨
Holiday emails: beyond subject lines
Increasing your email open rates during the holiday season starts with grabbing attention. Go ahead and steal our ideas. Save yourself some time when you’ve got a million things pulling at you. I encourage you to take a moment to add your own spin when appropriate.
But as you know, email subject lines are just a small part of the equation. You need great newsletter content to keep subscribers interested in subsequent holiday emails and opening them.
Here are some guides to help you round out and enhance holiday email marketing:
- Suggestions for devising your holiday email marketing calendar
- Tips for a four-part email campaign to assist gift-givers
- Seven holiday emails for grabbing attention
- Seguno holiday gifting campaign templates to speed up the creation process
And if you want to make the most of the holiday season’s most lucrative and competitive time, check out our inventory of Black Friday and Cyber Monday email resources.
Create, manage, and track your email marketing—without leaving Shopify.
Seguno is the top-rated email solution built exclusively for Shopify. Grow your sales with high-performing newsletters, email automation campaigns, and integrations with Facebook, Instagram, banners, pop-ups and more. Build and send engaging emails in our easy-to-use editor and take email creation to the next level with our Canva integration. Automate your email marketing and drive more revenue with welcome campaigns, checkout abandonment, post-purchase automations, tag triggers and more.
Sign up for email marketing tips, resources, and industry insights to help your Shopify store grow.